I’ve had a real craving for cake over the past few days and so I decided to whip up some sticky banoffee muffins. They have no egg, no flour and no refined sugar – a clear winner if you ask me!
These are the perfect treat for the autumn months when you just want to curl up by the fire with a cup of tea and something sweet and comforting.
(Makes 8 muffins)
- 2 cups of oats
- 2 tablespoons of chia seeds
- 1 tin of coconut milk
- 2 bananas
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 16 dates
- hot water
- agave nectar (optional)
For the base:
- Open a tin of coconut milk and pour it into your mixing bowl or blender
- Chop up two banana and add to the mixing bowl / blender
- Add the Chai seeds, oats and baking soda to the mixture
- Combine all five ingredients until it looks consistent
- Spoon the mixture into muffin cases
- Pop into oven set at 160 degrees and bake for approximately 2o-30 minutes. It takes a while for these to go spongy due to there being no flour at all. Test if they’re ready by inserting a knife through the middle. If it comes out clean, they’re done.
For the topping:
- Put your dates into a blender with 1/2 cup of boiling water
- Squirt a little agave nectar into the mix (optional)
- Blend until the consistency is thick and smooth
- Once the muffins have cooled, spread the topping onto each muffin
The sticky date topping tastes similar to toffee so it really gives you that indulgent sweet fix that’s hard to find once you stop eating refined sugar. With the banana in the muffin base, it is a classic combination!
These muffins are best eaten warm, so enjoy them straight out of the over or pop them in the microwave just before eating.