Here’s another protein packed, guilt free pud for when you fancy a sweet fix without the refined sugar. This date and nut tray bake is super easy to knock up and lasts in the fridge for ages so there’s no pressure to eat it up quickly.
I’m currently on a mission to cut back on refined sugar, gluten, and dairy, so this is an ideal sweet treat for keeping me on track with my health goals. It’s also completely vegan, so it can be enjoyed by all.
Here’s the lazy girl’s guide to making this rich and satisfying dessert.
- Three cups of pitted dates
- 1 cup of almonds
- 1 cup of pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon of raw cacao powder
- Squeeze of agave nectar (optional)
- Hydrate the dates by letting them soak in boiling water for 5 minutes
- Crush the almonds and pumpkin seeds into small pieces and combine in a mixing bowl
- Add the chia seeds and raw cacao powder to the mix
- When the dates are soft and squidgy, cut into smaller pieces and add to the mixing bowl
- Combine all ingredients to a consistent mixture
- For added sweetness, you can add a squeeze of agave nectar, however, this is optional as the dates will already provide a rich sweet taste to the dessert
- Spoon the mixture into a dish lined with greaseproof paper to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the dish
- Press the mixture firmly into the dish to ensure it all sticks together without bits breaking away
- Pop it into the fridge and leave it to set for 30 minutes
- Once set, cut out the portion you desire and enjoy your guilt-free treat!
Let me know if you try this recipe and what you think of it. You could event try experimenting with additional ingredients to make it a little bit different each time.